Rava Kesari / Sooji Ka Halwa



the recipe


Rava / Semolina - 1 cup
Water – 2 cup + 2 tbsp
Turmeric – 2 pinch (I used this instead of food color)
Sugar – 1 ½ cup
Cardmom – 4 (powder it with some sugar)
Cashewnuts, Almonds and raisins – as required (fried in ghee)
Ghee – 2 – 3 tbsp

the method

Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a pan and lightly sauté the semolina and turn off heat. Heat water in another pan with turmeric. When it come to boil, turn to low heat and add the rava slowly into the water and stir in circular motion briskly. The heat is turned to low to avoid formation of lumps. Keep stirring till the semolina is almost cooked. Add the sugar 1 or 2 tbsp at a time and keep stirring. Add the cardamom powder and fried nuts. Add one more tablespoon ghee on top and mix well.
Pour the kesari into a greased tray or plate. Cut it into diamond shapes and serve it hot or cold. I used some saffron strands just to give an appeal for the photograph.

the recipe goes to sinful delights by Vardhini

20 comments:

  1. Never says no to this delicious rava kesari,my fav anytime..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rava kesari looks yummy, fabulous and tempting. Lovely presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Kesari bath looks so tempting,happy to know that you are from Cochin,you are a lucky person living in such a beautiful place... thanks for drop in my space,love to follow you.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. All time classic sweet which never fails to impress people..nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy kesri.. Like how you presented them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. dimond cut of rawa kesri is very attractive

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make this all the time,but I realised never posted this in my space..I make the same way except I use milk instead of water.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, that is very very nicely done, love the shape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love rava kesari...looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. liked your presentation... sooji ka halwa is one of my favouries..

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi roshan, the first time i knew about suji ka halwa was from ambreen... tho i have'nt tried it yet.
    must be delicious with a sweet and spicy taste.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love rava kesari...my husband often make it...susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Been ages since I made this .. looks perfect and thx for linking to the event.

    Vardhini
    Event: Sinful Delights
    Event: Stuffed Paratha

    ReplyDelete

Try it and let me know if you wanted to make some changes or if you made some changes and share the idea!

Spicy Brinjal and Potato Stir Fry

Brinjal is one of my favourite vegetables. Growing up in the hillstation Valparai we had our own patch of vegetable garden and we use...